Tuesday, October 28, 2014

I've Been Thinking About Heaven

A day is coming for all of us when we will make an extraordinary transition.  Our life will end here in this earthly realm, however, I am totally convinced our existence will not cease.  In the book of 2nd Corinthians this is written about as being absent from the body and present with the Lord.  (See 2 Corinthians 5:8)

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin was writing about the concept that we have a non-material soul and put it this way, “We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.”  That is a simple but profound statement which deserves our thought.

I’m writing these things because heaven has been brought to my attention, lately, through some of the interactions I have had.  (I’ve noticed that as I get older I think about heaven more frequently, as well, for somewhat obvious reasons.) I am grateful for this earthly life, it is a wonderful gift and I love it (especially the parts involving chocolate), but I am also grateful that I have assurance in my heart about what comes next.

“Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.” Colossians 3:1-2


No comments: