Saturday, April 13, 2013

Thanks Brennan Manning For Helping Me Understand God's Love


Many years ago, I was in a small group with a few other men. At one point in this group, we listened to some
talks by a Christian teacher named Brennan Manning.  I had not heard of Brennan, yet, at this time. In these recorded talks Brennan said something that touched me deeply.  He said, “God loves you.” 

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I had heard people say, “God loves you,” before this time.  But in my mind, it was always said in a qualified way, for instance, “God loves you! …But remember, you still have to obey Him.”

Even though I grew up in a loving Christian church with terrific people, I had never heard (or at least it seemed to me that I had never heard) someone have the audacity to just say, “God loves you,” [period].  Without some type of qualifier.

Believe it or not, this was a big deal for me. 

I listened to the talks thinking:  “Wait a minute, God loves me without some type of qualifier having to be added to the statement?!?  Wow!”

I just learned, this morning, that Brennan has died.  I believe I’ll have an opportunity to thank him for his teaching, some day, when I pass over to the other side. But for now, I’ll write it here:  “Thanks, Brennan, for the incredible gift of helping me understand that God loves me.”

…Without qualifiers.

No comments: