Monday, April 15, 2013

Boston Bombings, Can We Make Sense of Something Senseless?


For the past hour, or so, I’ve been watching television coverage of the bombings that occurred in Boston
today.  As my mind has groped for a way to understand this kind of horrible event it occurred to me that I’m trying to make sense out of something senseless.

Bombings like this represent the evil actions of people whose thinking has been severely corrupted, it cannot be made reasonable.

Our hearts can grow heavy as we ponder these things.  We may even have moments of feeling hopeless.  But having watched the video of the explosions numerous times, suddenly I was struck with another impression.  I noticed that as soon as the explosions occurred, there were people running toward the carnage.  People moved into the chaos.  What are they doing?  Why would they run toward the area where the bomb just exploded?  If you keep watching, the answer is obvious.  They are trying to help those who are injured or trapped under debris.

As that impression sinks in I find myself thanking God for those who respond with compassion, goodness and courage.  There are people who do what is right.  There are, after all, people who act with valor.

Yes there is ugliness and evil in this world but even when things get dim, I am encouraged by the fact that evil will not prevail.  God and His goodness ultimately reigns.

Dan Marler
Oak Lawn, IL


No comments: