Monday, May 9, 2011

Fun At The Car Wash

I pressed the buttons on the key pad entering the code for my car wash and then I pressed the large green “start” button.  The automated voice said, “Put your car in neutral, do not steer, and do not step on the brakes.”

It baffles me that I did not see this sooner, but it was not until this point that I noticed the message on the dash board “TRUNK AJAR”. 

“What?!?!?!”

I did a double take…

“TRUNK AJAR”

 “My trunk is open?!?  Uh oh.  This isn’t good.”

I could see in my rearview mirror that the trunk was not wide open, but apparently it was not firmly latched. 

“Now, what do I do?”

I thought about jumping out of the car but I could feel the conveyor system of the car wash already catching the wheels of the vehicle.

“It moves slowly,” I thought.  “Perhaps if I run fast I could jump out, slam the trunk and jump back in again, before the car actually enters the jets of water at the beginning of the car wash.”

In my fertile imagination, I could picture some possible problems with that plan of action.  I was particularly concerned about trying that maneuver and then having the car go through the car wash with the trunk closed, but the door open… and me not in it.

“Well, it looks like I’m going through the car wash with my trunk ajar,” I told myself as I sat up keeping an eye on the trunk of my car through the rearview mirror.

So, “what happened” you ask?

Frankly, not much.  When the car wash was over I put the car in park and leaped out to look inside the trunk.  It was okay.  So, I let out a big “whew”!  What I thought might be a small pond in the trunk of my car, didn’t end up being a problem at all.  In fact, it wasn’t even wet.

But I’ve certainly learned my lesson. 

And the lesson is?  Always wear a bathing suit to the car wash.  …And bring a towel.  Just in case.



No comments: