Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Water Conduction, Thermal Load, and My Recent Caloric Burn

I stepped into the warm shower for a few lingering moments and then began adjusting the water temperature cooler and cooler.  Soon, it was no longer warm or even lukewarm it was now moderately cold water.  The temperature now set on “cold”, I stood and allowed the frigid water to drench me for close to 5 minutes as I waited for the effects.

“What in the world is going on?” you ask.

I recently read that Michael Phelps, the Olympic swimmer, eats 12,000 calories a day.  Well, of course, that got my attention. 

Now, bear in mind that even Olympic athletes don’t work out enough to burn 12,000 calories a day.  So, some people speculate that Phelps can consume that many calories because he spends 3 or 4 hours a day swimming in cool water.  Of course, 3 or 4 hours of swimming is an incredible amount of exercise but, again, even that much exercise, believe it or not, won’t burn 12,000 calories.  The caloric burn factor seems to be that water conduction efficiently cools his body temperature causing the body to work harder to maintain its natural temperature.

It’s not really that unreasonable, is it?  In fact, it makes sense.  The exposure to cold water is what helps Phelps’ body burn all the additional calories. 

That simple discovery explains my cold shower.

Some of you may be thinking, “Dan, you really are nuts, aren’t you?”  My response to that question is, go ahead, be like Nadia and laugh at me.

But while you’re laughing at me, just remember this: I figure that I should do these kinds of crazy experiments, to see what happens, so that you don’t have to.  Consider it a way for me to serve others.

You say, “Alright.  What happened?”

Well, you may not believe this but I stepped out of the cold shower and my skin felt taut.  A cold shower couldn’t be described as comfortable, that’s for sure, but it could be described as invigorating.  I toweled off and stepped onto the scale and guess what?  I was astonished!!!  I think I may have lost a half a pound!  (Although, I was wearing heavy socks.)

I know.  I know.  I was amazed, too!

In fact, I got so excited that I immediately ran upstairs and ate half a pizza and a large chocolate sundae.

In the interest of journalistic integrity, I should probably report that we have a net gain, at the time of this writing, of 2 pounds.  Although, on the positive side, my skin has taken on a bluish tint that has a certain off-beat attractiveness.

Hmm, alright, I will grant that there are, apparently, a few kinks in the system that still have to be worked out.


No comments: