Monday, February 7, 2011

Have I Created A Brand New Phrase?

There was a phrase in my message on Sunday that may or may not be real, I’m not sure.  I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone use it before.  In both services, when I said the phrase, people laughed.  It felt like a surprised amusement type of laughter.  So, I’m hoping I created a new phrase.  The phrase is:  “Intellectual vegetation”.

The context from the talk involved describing aspects of gracious conversation and I said, “To be gracious in our conversation does not mean that we simply agree with anything that anybody ever says.  That’s not graciousness.” I stressed, “That’s intellectual vegetation.”

Is “intellectual vegetation” a real phrase?  I don’t know.  After the 11 o’clock service someone told me that the phrase is an oxymoron.  But then he admitted he wasn’t sure what “oxymoron” meant and he wandered off shaking his head and mumbling softly.

Anyhow, like I said, people laughed in both services, so, until further notice, I’m going to assume that I have created a new phrase and I’m going to give everyone full permission to use it anytime.  However, anytime you use the phrase you have to send me a nickel.  Until I get an official ruling from the International Association for the Utilization and Advancement of New Phrases (in 4 to 6 weeks), that only seems like a fair royalty fee. 

*Keep in mind that royalty fee payments will be operating under the “honor system”.

(Hmm, by the way, I may have just inadvertently created a new association, too, a moment ago.  I’ll have to investigate that further on Google.)

In the meantime, keep your wits about you and stay mentally engaged.  Don’t slip into intellectual vegetation.

(Thought it might be helpful if I used it in a sentence for you one more time.)



*NOTE:   If you are concerned that this post is just a whole lot of "silly, stupid nonsense"...
... You are correct.

No comments: