Thursday, July 22, 2010

Writing Songs Involves Trying To Find A Way To Say "I Love You"

When I was in college, we had a guest speaker from Nashville come to one of my music classes to talk about songwriting. While speaking about crafting lyrics he said, “writing the lyrics of a song is all about this: trying to find an interesting, creative, new way to say ‘I love you’”. 

I said, “That’s it?  That’s what writing the lyrics of a song is all about?  Finding a new way to say ‘I love you?’”

He said, “That’s right.”

I never wrote any great love songs, but that moment has always remained in my mind.  That incident has served as another reminder to me of how important love is.  When we understand that “love” is perhaps the essential subject of a powerful and influential art form like song writing, we have yet another indication of the deep level at which the subject resonates in the hearts of everyone, and an indication of how vital love is.

No comments: