Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Book Entitled "Different" Should Be Different...This One Is



This is a book on the subject of business marketing.  But it’s more than that.

This is a book on the subject of business competition.  But it’s more than that.

This is a book on the subject of business brand differentiation.  But it’s more than that.

The author of “Different”, Harvard Business School Professor, Youngme Moon, offers very interesting insights on the subjects I mention above, but she does more than that.

It probably seems like I’m trying to be cute, but I’m serious.  The book “Different” is more than the typical business book.  It is…well, it’s “Different”.  (And, actually, I AM trying to be cute, it’s a character flaw.  Sorry.)

What am I trying to say?  Well, first of all, I’m trying to say that I really enjoyed reading this book.  In fact, “Different” was, for me, one of those books that “you can’t put down”.  I’m not a particularly fast reader, but I read it quickly.  And I read it quickly because, to me, it was fascinating.  If you think about it, this is a pretty high compliment: a business book that “you can’t put down”…I mean, after all, it’s not even a novel with a racing, heart-pounding plot and fascinating characters and, yet, I couldn’t put it down.  (Well, that’s not completely true.  I did put it down a few times for meals.  And when that guy next to me was choking.)

Part of what sets this book apart is that Youngme Moon’s insights about marketing extend beyond marketing.  They are philosophical and psychological and some of them even border on being spiritual.  Her insights are about the experience of life and being human.  There is something unique about her writing and about her approach to thinking about business.  I like it.

This is a book about business marketing that people who don’t read books about business marketing might find interesting and helpful.

Highly recommended.

Dan Marler
Oak Lawn, IL

No comments: