Thursday, July 8, 2010

An Inevitable Texting Tale

Well, there are certain things that are inevitable.  They’re going to happen.  Yes, indeed, they are GOING to happen.   Maybe they’ll happen sooner, or maybe they’ll happen later….but we know that, ultimately, they’re going to happen.

One of these inevitable things happened to me yesterday.  I actually, received a text message from my wife while we were in the car together.

Alright, granted, I was in the front seat driving and she was all the way in the back seat…you know, WAY back there in the back seat of the van.  But still, a text message wouldn’t seem to be necessary in such an instance, would it?  (Text me, if your answer to that question is “yes”.)

(By the way, Nadia was in the back seat because her sister, Paula, was on the passenger side of the front.  Believe me, when it’s just the two of us, Nadia does not sit in the back seat while I’m driving, unless, of course, we’re going some place where she needs to show up making a good impression.)

I looked in the rear view mirror as I was driving and asked her, “Did you text me?”

In response to my question I heard the notification tone on my phone indicating that I had just received another text.

I asked, again, “Is that you texting me?”

Another notification tone.  Nadia had a sly smile on her face.


It turns out that she had text-ed me a picture.  And then as I was asking if she was texting me, she was responding with the following text messages:  “No, that’s not me.”


She can be funny like that, in a tricky way, sometimes.

Later that night, as we were laying in bed, we had a good laugh about the silliness of the whole matter….via Skype.  Then we sent each other an instant message, saying, “xoxo, goodnight”, signed off of our laptops, and went to sleep.

It wasn’t REAL sleep, it was virtual sleep, but I feel rested….in a digital sort of way.




No comments: