Thursday, July 15, 2010

Is He Calling Me Mike?

I signed up for an inexpensive, temporary membership at a local gym—because incredible musculature has to be carefully maintained…at least, that’s what Arnold always says when he “Skypes” me to discuss his new ab routine.  And over the past couple of weeks I’ve had a few casual conversations with the guy who works the front desk at this gym.

This person is a very nice man but he speaks softly and sometimes I can’t tell what he’s saying.  (I suspect some of you are thinking about the “low talker” episode on Seinfeld.  Yep, me too.)  So, when I’ve left the gym several times, recently, he’s quietly said, “We’ll see you …. (mumbled sound)!”  And I haven’t really understood what he has said.

This morning, when I left the gym, he did this again and as the door closed behind me I finally realized what he’s been saying.  He’s been saying “Mike”. 

“We’ll see you…[very softly] Mike!”

Suddenly, I thought about some of our other exchanges and I’ve just come to realize that he’s been calling me “Mike” for a couple of weeks.

One day, when I was getting off the stationary bike, he said, “Are you done with the bike?”  At least, at the time, that’s what I thought he said.  Now, I realize he actually said, “Are you done with that, Mike?”

“How you doing, Mike?”
“Make sure you maintain proper form, Mike.”
“Wipe down the equipment when you’re done, Mike.”
“Your muscles appear to be getting smaller, Mike.”

I considered going back in and telling him that my name isn’t Mike, it’s Dan.  But it would probably embarrass him since he’s been calling me Mike for several weeks and, gee whiz, tomorrow is the last time I’ll be at the gym before we start to head back home, so, it doesn’t seem to be that big of a deal.  I suspect it will just confuse everyone if I change my name, now.

I can imagine people at the gym saying, “Why is that guy calling Mike, Dan?”

So, for one more day, at the gym, I will be Mike.  And then I can go back to the name that I’m most comfortable answering to:  Most Holy Reverend St. Marler of Calvary, Jr., the Third.

…And I know that’s the name that the majority of you are most comfortable calling me.





















Here I am striking a pose before I leave
the gym....Or, wait a minute...now that
I think about it, this might be "Mike".

No comments: