Friday, April 9, 2010

E-Flash From Dan -- Is It Okay To Worship God And Have Fun, Too?

Dear E-Flash Friends;

It’s difficult to sing and play the guitar and laugh really hard all at the same time.  That’s what was happening to me on Wednesday night when the guys were rehearsing in order to lead the time of worship on Sunday.  We were having a blast, but I started to think that maybe I wouldn’t be able to play with the group on Sunday.  After all, I can’t participate if I’m just going to be cracking up the whole time.  That’s too frivolous.  Plus, the guitar playing gets way too sloppy.

In fact, after quite a few moments of my silliness, I started to feel guilty.  And it occurred to me that I should tell the guys, “Hey fellas, look, I’m not going to be able to play this Sunday.  I’m of no value to you guys or to the congregation if I’m laughing uproariously the whole time.  What kind of leadership is that?”

And then, it hit me.  “Wait a minute!  This JOY might be just the right thing.”  I thought, “If the congregation on Sunday enjoys the time of worship as much as we’re enjoying this practice time, it’s going to be a great day!”

You say, “Hold on, Dan.  Hold it just a minute, bub!  Is it…well…LEGAL, in church, to laugh and feel joy and worship God all at the same time?  Doesn’t the Bible prohibit that kind of thing…you know…somewhere in one of those Old Testament books?”

Nope, there’s no biblical prohibition against laughing and feeling joy and worshiping God all at the same time.  After all, who do you think created joy and laughter?  (If your answer was *“George Burns”, you’re close but not quite.)

So, this is my special invitation to you.  Please make plans to be with us this Sunday.  We will worship and honor God.  He is deserving of our adoration and praise!  He really is.  And I believe we will experience great joy as we worship Him.  There is definitely a sense in which worship is serious business and our times together on Sunday need to challenge us to deeper levels of spiritual growth…but that doesn’t mean we can’t have some fun, too!

And I’m hoping you might even invite someone to come with you.  Everybody could use a little more joy, right?  And ULTIMATE joy is found in God!

See you Sunday.  (I’m really thinking that I’ll be able to control myself by then.)

Dan


*NOTE:  I know, I know, some of the younger folks reading this memo do not know who George Burns is.  Fortunately, they can go straight to Google and do a search to find out.  Hint: He played God in a couple of movies way, way, way, waaaaaaaay back in ancient history…the 80’s.

**NOTE:  If you would like to receive the E-Flash From Dan directly to your e-mail address just send an e-mail message to:  COG111st@aol.com
And write: "Put me on the E-Flash list" in the subject field.





I took this picture of a few of the guys on our
worship team, right after we finished our
rehearsal.



No comments: