Saturday, April 24, 2010

E-Flash From Dan, April 24, 2010

Dear E-Flash Friends;

Did you ever read something that surprised you, in a good way?  That’s what happened to me when I read the following quote that I’m going to share with you.  It’s so common that the general state things are described as dismal, and our current situation is suggested to be much worse than ever before.  Is that true?  Are things really that bad?  Here’s what I read…

“It is a fact of life that people love to complain, particularly about how terrible the modern world is compared with the past.

They are nearly always wrong.  On just about any dimension you can think of—warfare, crime, income, education, transportation, worker safety, health—the twenty-first century is far more hospitable to the average human than any earlier time.”
Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner

As an example, Levitt and Dubner go on to cite data regarding childbirth.  One hundred years ago, the rate of maternal death during childbirth was more than 50 TIMES HIGHER than it is today in industrialized nations.  Things are much better in this area, these days.

To be honest, I don’t really know for sure if everything is much better now than it used to be.  Although, I suspect that in many of the ways Levitt and Dubner mention, the statistics would be hard to argue with.  But the main reason I shared that quote was because I figured we could all use a little encouraging news once in a while, rather than negative news.

One of the things that I love about the Christian faith is that it is, ultimately, HOPEFUL and OPTIMISTIC.  I’m wired up in such a way that I need some good news on a regular basis.  I have a hard time taking a steady stream of negative information.  (That’s why I weigh myself infrequently.)  As followers of Jesus Christ, we have great reason for joy and hope. 

How does the future look?  Well, if you’re a follower of Jesus it looks great!

“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”  Romans 8:28

“For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.” 2 Corinth. 4:17

“Those who trust in the Lord are as secure as Mount Zion; they will not be defeated but will endure forever.” Psalm 125:1

How about one more?  Sure, why not…

“’For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’” Jeremiah 29:11

I know there are difficulties and troubles in life.  I’m not recommending a head-in-the-sand approach to reality, that would not be honest (and it ruins your hairdo).  But, hey!  We know how things work out in the end.  Right?

“I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that YOU MAY KNOW that you have eternal life.” 1 John 5:13

There is victory in Jesus!  I thought that might be a nice reminder for you.

Hope you’re having a blessed day!

Dan


P.S.  And I hope to see you at church tomorrow (I’m assuming you might read this on Saturday afternoon/night).  I believe you will be blessed if you come!




*NOTE:  If you would like to have the E-Flash From Dan sent directly to your e-mail, send an e-mail message to:   cog111st@aol.com
and write, “Send me the E-Flash” in the subject field.

No comments: