Saturday, May 21, 2016

Going Home In Time For Church

Yesterday, the cardiologist who was treating me explained the options we could pursue. There were basically two:

One option is that I could take a stress test. A stress test can provide helpful diagnostic information but it is not the test which can provide the highest level of certainty regarding issues like blockages in the arteries in and near the heart.

On the other hand, it is not invasive.

The second option is an angiogram procedure. With an angiogram we would know for sure if there was any blockage but the angiogram involves a catheterization that is invasive. It also involves anesthesia which increases the risk factor.

So it is more complicated than a stress test and it involves some recovery time.

Obviously, I liked the idea of a stress test from the standpoint of being less invasive. But I also valued the certainty of the angiogram.

The doctor was basically giving me the choice to pick which option we would pursue.
Then he added this: if the angiogram reveals no blockage you could possibly still go home later today (Friday).

If there is a blockage and they put in a stent you would go home tomorrow (Saturday).
I perked up. I could have an angiogram and still be home on Saturday?!? I could have an angiogram and still be at church on Sunday?!? Whoa! Now the decision was easy.
"Let's go with the angiogram, doc!" I exclaimed with glee.

(Keep in mind, angiograms rarely involve a tremendous amount of glee.)

I had the angiogram on Friday afternoon. There is some blockage but it is not in a place where a stent could be inserted. However, it can be effectively treated with medications.

So, I get to go home today.

Better yet, I get to be at church on Sunday!

...And believe me, I have a wonderful, thankful, joyful message to proclaim!


No comments: