Thursday, January 15, 2015

This Is A Lucky Day?

I hopped in the van this morning, turned the key, and was greeted with complete silence. Nothing happened. It didn’t whine. It didn’t sort of turnover a little bit. It didn’t look at me, roll its eyes and chuckle. The van was totally dead.

When Nadia got home we took out the cables, jumped the van and drove it to our mechanic. He quickly determined that we needed a new battery. Our current battery wasn’t really very old. But if a battery no longer works then it no longer works so, even though it wasn’t very old, we needed a new battery.

(You can tell I know a lot about mechanics from that kind of sophisticated analysis, can’t you?)

When the job was completed our mechanic walked into his waiting area and said to me, “It’s your lucky day, this is only going to cost $100!”

I laughed and said, “You and I have a different definition of what makes a lucky day.”

Then we both laughed, I paid the bill and he laughed a little bit more.

When it comes to the vehicles at our house, someone else always gets the last laugh.

No comments: