Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Urologist Visit

I went to see a urologist today regarding the kidney stone adventure that I’ve been enjoying this week.

(See how I’m trying to approach all of this with a happy, optimistic attitude?)

He came into the room where I was seated and said, “What can I do for you?”

I said, “I’m hoping you can help me never to experience something like I experienced last Monday night.”

He said, “Are you talking about the pain?”

I said, “Yes, I am.”

He nodded and said, “Well, we will try.” 

He had observed the CAT scan disc which I brought with me from the hospital in Decatur, Illinois.  He told me, “You have two very small kidney stones, one in each kidney.  And then you have the third larger kidney stone—that’s the 6 millimeter stone.”  He went on, “The larger stone has already traveled to your bladder.”

I cringed and with fear and trembling said, “Okay...”

He said, “Now that the larger stone has reached the bladder passing it becomes much easier.  It has already traveled through the most difficult parts of its journey.” He added, “Since it’s in the bladder passing it will probably not be very painful.”

I perked up, but still feeling some caution said, “But it still has to take a… um… a… you know… a certain… uh… path to get completely out. Won’t that last part of the journey be the worst part?”

He said, “No, actually that probably won’t be too bad.”

We talked about that further in some detail but I won’t describe that part of the conversation in this post because I’m a sensitive and discreet kind of guy.

A huge wave of relief came over me. “So, I’ve probably already experienced the worst of the pain?”

He said, “Yes.”

With a big smile on my face I said, “You’ve just made me a very happy man.”

He smiled back and said, “Well, I do my best.”

I left his office with a grin on my face, a spring in my step and a stone in my bladder.

I now have a strainer so we can determine if the stone is passed. 
I have my pain medications in case they are needed. 
I have a virtually unlimited supply of water—which I am supposed to drink in voluminous amounts. 
And I have the hope that the worst part of the pain of my kidney stone adventure is over.

I’m feeling pretty good!

By the way, thank you to everyone for your prayers. It has really meant a lot to me to have your love and support.


No comments: