Monday, March 3, 2014

Why Did Matthew McConaughey Bring Up God?

Many people who believe in God will say they can look back at the events of life and see what they
recognize to be the hand of God guiding certain events and experiences.  God’s involvement appears to be unmistakable.  If we are ready and willing to “see,” He is there to be found.  I thought about this last night when I heard Matthew McConaughey making his acceptance speech for the Best Actor Oscar.

This is the first portion of his speech:  “First off, I want to thank God, because that’s who I look up to. He has graced my life with opportunities that I know are not of my hand or of any other human hand.”

At the very least, that was an interesting thing to say in a room filled with Hollywood power players.  His gratitude to God was not greeted with thunderous applause.  (I’m guessing you’re not too surprised?)

Like many people I know McConaughey, obviously, sees God’s activity in his life.  He had the rare opportunity, however, to testify to that reality while 43 million people happened to be watching.



No comments: