Tuesday, March 4, 2014

What About Lucy's I.Q.?

I recently discovered that dog I.Q. tests exist.  Does that make anyone else laugh, or is it just me?  Part of me thinks I should be surprised at the existence of dog I.Q. tests and, yet, another part of me thinks, “Well, that sounds about right.”

The book in which I read about dog I.Q. tests mentioned one of the test exercises is to put a towel or blanket over your dog’s head and see how quickly she can free herself from the towel.  I couldn’t help myself, I had to do a Google search and I found a dog I.Q. test which mentioned the towel/blanket exercise. 

The test provided this information:  If she [“she” would be the dog] frees herself in less than 15 seconds, that’s good.  She receives 3 I.Q. points.  If it takes 15-30 seconds, not bad.  She receives 2 I.Q. points.  If it takes her longer than 30 seconds, that’s less impressive.  She receives only 1 I.Q. point.

If the dog simply wanders around the house never really freeing herself from the towel you will probably have to strongly consider holding her back a grade.

[NOTE:  If the dog’s owner cannot seem to remove himself from a towel over the head then it’s imperative that the authorities be contacted, ASAP.]

So, with all that in mind I’ve been impressed by our new puppy, Lucy.  She has a little red doggy sweater we put on her when she goes outside because it’s been so cold.  Recently, we have discovered she can take the sweater off, all by herself.  I don’t actually know how long it takes her to remove the sweater but I know we have put her in her cage, wearing the sweater, and we have come home and found that she has taken the sweater off.  Sometimes it is in the corner of the cage, nicely folded.  Other times, she has hung it up in the closet next to her assortment of silk bow ties.

I know this post probably sounds like the mutterings of someone who is so excited about his new puppy that it’s obnoxious.   In fact, you’re probably thinking, “Settle down, Dan.  She’s an ordinary dog.  Sheesh!!!  Go get a hobby or something, bub!”

I know.  You’re right.  I’m sorry.  I am going to stop acting overly enthusiastic about this simple animal.

In fact, I have to wrap up this story, anyhow, because I just got a text message from Lucy.  She’s buying some new slacks, online, and she needs the credit card info.


*NOTE:  In the photo, Lucy has her arms freed from the sweater and has it down around her waist, partially removed.


No comments: