Saturday, March 15, 2014

The Good Pudding Samaritan

Well, I went back to Jewel food store this morning and guess what?  The lights were on! The power was working.  I didn’t need a flashlight. 

(Yesterday, when I was there I wandered around in the dark because the power was out.)

While I was there, today, Nadia sent me a text requesting that I pick up pistachio flavored instant pudding.  So, I went to the pudding aisle.  They had chocolate, vanilla, butterscotch, lemon and a few other flavors but no pistachio.

I called Nadia and said, “I don’t see pistachio.  They have all the other flavors but not that one.”

While I was talking to her, a little elderly woman standing next to me reached down to a space on the shelf I hadn’t noticed.  She pulled out what appeared to be one of the last remaining pistachio instant pudding boxes.  It was down low and far back on the shelf.  I did not see it.

I thought, “Hey, what’s going on?  She must have heard me talking about the pistachio pudding.  Is she, now, grabbing the last one?!?”

In fact, she did hear me talking about the pistachio pudding!  I know this because she turned, smiling and handed the box to me.  “Is this what you’re looking for?”

“Yes, it is.” I told her.  And then on the phone to Nadia I said, “A nice lady, here, just helped me find it.”

“Do you want two of them?” the nice lady asked.

“Yes, I do.”

“Here you go,” she said and handed me another box.

I said, “Thank you.”

She said, “My husband has trouble finding things, too.”

And then she went on her way to, no doubt, provide comfort, guidance, nursing and assistance to other confused and troubled shoppers.

Now I know the legends are true.  There is such a thing as “The Good Pudding Samaritan.”


No comments: