Thursday, March 13, 2014

Talking With The Dentist

My dentist (who is a great guy) hung that suction device on the corner of my mouth, you know, the one which vacuums up all the fluid.  Then he began scraping and poking at my teeth with the sharp pointy hook instrument while utilizing the little round mirror on a stick.

(I mention that he is a great guy just in case he happens to read this.  First of all it’s true that he’s a great guy.  And second of all, I want him to think that I think he’s a great guy because he is in a position to inflict a lot of pain on me while making it seem like this: “Gee, I’m sorry, did that hurt?  Oops, that pain was an accidental and inevitable result of the standard dentistry procedure.”  So, once again, for the record, he’s a wonderful fellow.)

While all of this activity was happening in my mouth he began talking to me about some issues and stories that invited my response.  But how was I supposed to say anything?  I couldn’t actually form any words with my mouth hanging open and several instruments at work on my teeth.

But I managed to make some rudimentary sounds that communicated simple responses such as:

“Yes.”
“No.”
“Not sure.”
“Wow!”
“Really?”
“I guess so.”

And this one...

“Frankly, there are a number of ways of looking at that statement and a nuanced response is probably in order.”

I’ll be honest, that last one requires a whole series of grunts and guttural noises.

We had a pretty good conversation without me actually doing any talking.  Funny how that can happen, huh?


By the way, I mentioned that he’s a terrific chap, right?  …Okay, just making sure.

No comments: