Monday, June 24, 2013

While Standing In Line

I was standing in line, last night, and the couple right behind me in the line was hugging and nuzzling and kissing. 

The situation was a little bit unusual for three reasons.  First, the behavior seemed to be a little bit more “lovey dovey” than would typically happen while standing in a line at a food joint.

Second, the couple was probably in their sixties.  Please don’t misunderstand.  I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a couple in their sixties being romantic.  In fact, I suppose it’s nice that they have such strong feelings.  It’s just that a public physical display like this is usually not typical for a couple their age.

But the third reason that this was unusual was that the couple was in my personal space.  At various times, as the line moved toward the counter, they were literally 4 or 5 inches away from me whispering sweet nothings at each other.  And by virtue of their proximity, sweet nothings at me too, sort of.

At one point, I turned around and smiled at them.  I figured seeing my face just inches from their own would make them self-conscious.

Nope.  It didn’t bother them one bit.  In fact, they just smiled at me and continued doing what came naturally.

I was finally able to order my food but, frankly, it was a bit of a letdown after standing in that line.



[ NOTE:  As you can imagine, I really wanted to take a picture of the couple but it didn’t seem like a good idea.]



No comments: