Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Boys Get A Squirrel

While standing outside enjoying the sunshine, I suddenly heard a scream followed by crying.  I looked toward the corner of our yard, the area from which the scream originated, and I saw Rachel pointing at the ground and crying.

“What happened?” I asked.

She started yelling at Jasper and Jake, who were standing nearby, “Bad!!! Bad!!”  And then in a long wail she cried out, “Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!?”

Looking toward her feet I could see a puffy squirrel’s tail and I realized that Jasper and Jake (“The Boys”) had gotten a squirrel.  I had seen a squirrel earlier in the day prancing along the top of our fence.  I’m frequently amazed the squirrels dare to play on our fence and in our yard.  Doesn’t word get around the squirrel community that this is not a squirrel-friendly area?  It seems that there is poor communication within the squirrel community.

Rachel was very upset.  We clearly have a conflict of intentions within our household.  “The Boys” consider it to be their duty to keep other animals out of their yard—especially squirrels and birds.  Rachel, on the other hand, believes it is her duty to love and protect all the animals in the world.  (By the way, for Rachel, this even includes insects.  We can’t kill a spider in our house if she’s around.)

Well, the Boys looked very proud about getting their squirrel, sure, but they will probably find that it’s not worth having Rachel mad at them.



No comments: