Friday, November 2, 2012

Seeing God And Putting Things In Their Proper Perspective


Here’s a conversation thread from my Facebook page.

My initial post:
When we enter into God’s presence on the other side of this earthly existence everything else that we’ve ever experienced will finally be put in its proper perspective.


Comment from my friend:
Proof text. Must have proof text old friend! I bang my head against the wall trying to get perspective on this side, and you're telling me to chill-out and wait 'til I get on the other side? I think He gave me this curious, searching heart (or this doubting skeptics mind, whatever it is?)


My response to the comment:
I believe God gave you that curious, searching heart, too.  And I think it’s good and right for you to try to get perspective on this side of eternity.  Don’t stop your search for understanding.  (Although, you might want to ease up on the banging your head against the wall.)  However, a wise search involves the understanding that we are finite—there are some things we simply will not come to understand on this side.  If you cannot come to terms with this reality it will result in increased head-against-the-wall sessions and tremendous frustration.

Also, what we experience now is, by definition, incomplete because there is a wholly other experience that will happen when we leave this realm.  We cannot experience this other realm now, we can only experience it by crossing over.

“For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.” 1 Corinthians 13:12

I believe that the most significant part of this experience on the other side will be seeing God in a way that is fuller and more complete than we can see Him on this side of eternity.  And I believe that when we see Him in this complete way much of what we thought was so important, on this side, will be put into its proper perspective.

Line from an old Christian song:  “And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace.”


No comments: