Monday, November 12, 2012

A Christmas Tree Miracle


I knew that it was too early to put up our Christmas tree—it’s not even Thanksgiving, yet, for crying out loud—but some type of Christmas mood took hold of Nadia and I and before we knew it, Christmas music was playing and the tree was up.

We did not hide the fact that the tree was up.  In fact, it is positioned by the large picture window in the front of our house and is, therefore, quite visible.  So, I guess I shouldn’t have been too surprised when the village authorities sent a S.W.A.T. team to the house.

“We know you’re in there.”  It was a voice outside on a bullhorn.  “And we know you’ve got your Christmas tree up before Thanksgiving.  Come out with your hands up, kicking the tree in front of you, and this can still end peacefully.”

“You can’t make me take it down!” I yelled as I lobbed several scented Christmas candles out the window.  The candles fell on the front lawn without much of an effect.  But it feels good to take a principled stand.

Well, they stormed the house and we were outnumbered.  Fortunately, no one was injured because we had pretty much forgotten they were out there at that point and were watching a rerun of the Simpsons.

As they were taking the tree out the front door in handcuffs, I said, “Fellas, wait a minute.  I’m begging you to just listen to me for a moment.”  They turned to look at me and it was totally quiet.  That’s when I told them several touching stories about my early memories of Christmas and the special meaning that it holds in my life.

As I finished talking I looked around the room and everyone was wiping tears from their eyes.

The S.W.A.T. team officer in charge said, “You know what?  We don’t care if this is in violation of Village Code 347-13(b), our hearts have been touched.  Darn it!  You can keep your tree up, after all.”

The next thing you know, we were all hugging and laughing and they even helped us place the tree back in its position and put the star on top.  Then we all held hands and sang “Hark The Herald, Angels Sing.”  I don’t have to tell you, there wasn’t a dry eye in the house as we sang the final chorus.

That’s when I woke up with a start and groggily rubbed my eyes.  I looked around trying to get my bearings and then I chuckled at another one of my crazy dreams.

Oh, but I’m not kidding, by the way, about putting up the Christmas tree today.  That part of the story is true. 

As I was putting some of the left over ornaments back in the boxes and tidying up a bit, I saw a business card on the ground near the tree.  I picked it up and looked.  It read, “John Smith, S.W.A.T. Commander.”

“What?!?” I said, as I looked at the card in disbelief.

I think I’m starting to believe in Christmas miracles.


No comments: