Wednesday, November 7, 2012

E-Flash From Dan, 11/7/12


Dear E-Flash Friends;

Peter Kreeft and Ronald Tacelli write, “…A word for boredom in general does not exist in any pre-modern language.” [Handbook of Christian Apologetics].  The point they are making is that in terms of human history the concept of “boredom” is a modern development. 

I don’t know enough about history to know if this is true, or not.  But if there is some degree of truth to it, it is interesting to me that those of us who live in a time when we can receive a constant flow of messages from television, computers, radios, ipods, smart phones, radio, tablets, nooks, kindles, etc., are more likely to be bored than those who did not have these technological devices.

What does it say about all of the messages we receive or, perhaps, our capacity to process all of this stimulation if we find ourselves bored in spite of it all?  On the other hand, the people who did not have this continual stimulation, apparently, didn’t even have a word for “boredom.”  Interesting, huh?

I’m not anti-technology, I like this stuff.  But our impressive communication devices have their limits when it comes to living life fully.

I think I’ll unplug for a while and spend some time praying—no technology involved, just God and I. 

This was on my mind today, so I thought I would share it with you.

Hope you have a great day!

Love and blessings,

Dan



No comments: