Tuesday, November 13, 2007

What Do People Think About Christians?

Recent research by the Barna Group reveals that Christians have a negative reputation, particularly among young Americans. One of the findings is that “Christians are primarily perceived for what they stand against.” (unChristian, Kinnaman & Lyons) Apparently, Christians are better known as anti-choice, anti-gay, anti-science, anti-media, than as pro-Jesus, pro-love, pro-mercy, pro-joy.

When I first read these research results, it bothered me, although, as I reflected on this finding it didn’t surprise me. Christians believe that moral absolutes exist and those absolutes will draw lines of right and wrong on issues. The boundaries of morality are pretty likely to be perceived as “anti”, especially by those who don’t agree that the boundaries exist or, perhaps, those who would like to move the boundaries out a little further.

By the way, I’m not suggested that only Christians understand and live with moral boundaries, I’m simply pointing out that the moral boundaries of Christians as applied to some of the cultural issues of the day certainly contribute to the perception that Christians are mostly known for what we’re against.

Thinking of the negative perceptions, I also realized that sometimes those who are presented as the spokespersons for Christians, in the media, appear more judgmental, insensitive, or even mean-spirited than loving or merciful. Perhaps these spokespersons should carry a little reminder card that says “What-Would-Jesus-Do on a CNN interview?”

I certainly do not presume to be the spokesperson for Christianity—and no one would give me the job if they were hiring—however, as a sincerely devoted, though imperfect, long-time follower of Jesus, I’d like to mention a message that Christians are for, rather than what we’re against.

Christians are for the proclamation and the practical demonstration of this message of God to people: I am. And I love you and I want to restore you to me and to meaningful relationships with each other through the grace and truth of Jesus Christ.

I know this message will not necessarily be accepted and embraced in a positive way by everyone who encounters it, but at least, it is a message Christians are for, rather than against.

I have, on occasion, been a poor bearer of that message and, so, to those who perceive Christianity and Christians as “anti”, I apologize for my contribution to that image. With God’s help, I will try to be a more gracious representative of my understanding of the good news of God.

Dan Marler
First Church of God
Oak Lawn, IL 60453

www.VisitUsOnline.org

No comments: