Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Dream Job

The following piece appeared in the SouthtownStar on Nov. 24, 2007, in response to the question: What would your dream job be?

-------------------

A dream job would involve loving people and caring about their well-being. It would be a job in which I would talk and teach and counsel and write about matters of utmost importance with others. And even though it involved issues of deep eternal significance, this great job would, nevertheless, include times of laughter and joy with others because there’s no way it could be a perfect job without a little laughter once in a while.

This ideal job would result in a career in which I could look back after many years and see that people had been helped and encouraged and had come into contact with transcendence and discovered God’s grace.

A dream job would provide the profound sense of joy and satisfaction that results from fulfilling the calling and purpose for which I was created.

A job like this would be an extraordinary . . .

Hey, wait. I’ve just been describing the job I already have. I guess I need to gripe a lot less and pay more attention to my many blessings.

Dan Marler
First Church of God
Oak Lawn, IL

www.VisitUsOnline.org

No comments: