Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Christians Engaging The Culture, Part 1 of How Many?

This is the first part in a series of Blog entries about Christians engaging the culture. “How many parts will this series be?” you ask. I don’t know. We’ll see. That’s the fun of it, right?

First of all, I think it might be fair for me to admit that I have some assumptions that I bring to this topic, just like we all do. In other words, when it comes to this subject of Christians engaging the culture, there are a few things that I just assume to be true. And I thought it might be helpful for me to identify a few of my assumptions up front.

1) I assume that Christians will engage with the culture in which we live. There’s a Christian concept that’s often described with the phrase: “In the world, but not of the world.” That phrase gets at this particular assumption. As Christians we are part of this world; and we should and we will engage the culture in which we live.

2) Christians will often find themselves at odds with the culture in which they live. What I mean is that the beliefs of those who follow Christ and the values of those who follow Christ will often be at odds with the culture in which we live and that doesn’t just apply to American culture in the year 2007, that applies to any culture, at any time. We live in a fallen world and the kingdom of Jesus Christ shines a light on the fallen world and there will always be powers in any given culture who will not appreciate having the light shone.

Jesus said that there will always be people who are aligned with the fallen world who will hate him and, therefore, they will hate those who follow Him. In John chapter 15 vs. 18 & 19, pg. 824, Jesus says, “If the world hates you, remember that it hated me first. The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you.”

3) My third assumption is this: We are seeing an increasing trend away from the values of Christianity in American culture over the past 40 or 50 years.

When I say movement away from the values of Christianity, I mean, for example issues like: a) the value of life; b) attitudes about sexuality and sexual behavior; c) beliefs and attitudes and resulting behaviors related to the question of the existence of truth; d) beliefs and attitudes and resulting behaviors related to the existence of moral values.

Those three assumptions listed above are not the only ones that I bring to this discussion, but I thought those were three that might be helpful to identify up front. You may not share those assumptions, but I thought it would make it a more honest communication on my side if you knew a few of the assumptions that I start with.

In the next parts, we’ll look at several passages of scripture that speak to the issue of the Christian’s role and place in the world—or we might say the Christian’s influence and relationship with the world.

By the way, I’m very open to your thoughts and comments, even if you strongly disagree with what I write. I’d be curious to read your opinions.

Dan Marler
First Church of God
Oak Lawn, IL

www.VisitUsOnline.org

No comments: