Sunday, July 10, 2016

CricketMan CricketMan... Does Whatever A Cricket Can

My sister-in-law Paula said, “Hey look at this guy!”

It was a large cricket with pretty colors moving slowly through the sand. As I looked at the creature I was struck with an impulse to reach down and let him crawl onto my hand. So I put my hand in front of him and, sure enough, he crept onto my palm.

I said, “I wonder if he will bite.”

Paula said, “No way. He won’t bite.”

Nadia said, “He might.”

As he began crawling up toward my wrist I said, “He has some great colors. Get a picture while he is on me.”

Normally, people can easily reach their phones in less than 10 seconds but we were at a beach and the phones had been stashed away in duffel bags or beach totes and so they searched for phones while the cricket continued crawling up my arm.

By the time photos were actually taken the large cricket had ambled up my arm, onto my shoulder, around to my back and then up to my neck.

It was a strange feeling, sort of ticklish and slightly creepy as he gripped and un-gripped his cricket feet moving around my neck.

When he eventually bit me it hurt but truthfully it was not terribly painful. It was like a strong pinch. The problem was that it caught me off guard and made me nervous because I wondered if there were any potentially significant negative effects from a cricket bite.

This all happened several hours ago.

In the past 10 to 15 minutes I have noticed the emergence of… let’s see… how can I put it? I do not know an accurate way of describing it. I have noticed the emergence of something I can only describe as “powers.”

I know you’re probably laughing and rolling your eyes but I suddenly have capabilities I never used to possess. For example, two minutes ago I easily jumped over a bus without really giving it much thought. And just before that I ate close to 1 acre of a local farmer’s crops.

Oh well… I’m going to take an aspirin and lie down. I guess I’ll be fine in the morning.


No comments: