Thursday, May 8, 2014

Humming A Song In The Locker Room

I was in the men's locker room at the health club and I wasn't paying attention. I wasn't thinking carefully. So I made a mistake.

I was listening to my ipod, wearing headphones, and I got caught up in humming along to a song loud enough for others to hear. Actually, at the time I didn't think anyone else was in the locker room. But I turned my head at one point and sure enough there was a guy behind me.

We briefly made eye contact.

He didn't say anything and, of course, neither did I. But I know he had to hear me humming along to the song.

This is a serious error. A guy in a men's locker room is not supposed to be humming to music. It's a violation of a guy protocol. And my error was particularly inexcusable because the song I was humming along with is a syrupy love song from the 70s about a horse. The title of the song is "Wildfire."

(I know. I know.... I'm turning red right now even as I write these words.)

If this was the mid 70's and I was back in the old high school locker room I could have been beaten up for such an infraction.

Well, now I probably won't be able to show my face around the place for a week, or so. I hope we start to get some warmer weather so I can, at least, walk outside.

No comments: