Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Identity Theft And The Snowman


As I trudged to the house through today’s winter wonderland, I thought, “Boy, this is great packing snow.  I’m going to do something I haven’t done in a long time.  I’m going to make a snowman!  It’s safe.  It’s fun.  It’s a little taste of childhood.”

I have to admit that I was proud of my creation and the experience reminded me that simple pleasures are, indeed, often the most satisfying. 

But then, a couple of hours later, I started to receive "security protection service" phone calls.  Sadly, we discovered that the snowman had gotten hold of a couple of my credit cards along with some of my computer passwords and he’s been spotted around town drinking iced tea, frequenting various Taco Bell drive thru windows, and buying dozens of expensive theology books with my cards.  (It should be noted that we don’t even think he can read.)

Police thought they had nabbed him while staking out a local Krispy Kreme donut shop but that just turned out to be a guy with a top hat who has a really pale complexion and an unusually orange nose.

He was last seen headed south in a rental car with a bunch of shifty looking characters the authorities have nicknamed “The Preacher Boys.”

I hope this will serve as a lesson to all of us.  I’m not sure what kind of lesson… but if we think about it really intensely, we should be able to come up with a lesson of some kind.


No comments: