Sunday, November 20, 2011

What The Heck Is Celebrity Rehab?


A while back I posted a vlog indicating that I had been interviewed for an episode of the TV show “Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew”.  Since then, a few people have asked me, “What the heck is Celebrity Rehab?” 

Alright, I’d say that’s a fair question.  So, here’s an answer…

Celebrity Rehab is a reality TV show that airs on the VH1 cable network.  It is hosted by Dr. Drew [Dr. Drew Pinsky].  You’ve heard of Dr. Drew, right?  He’s probably one of the most visible physicians on television these days.  I think he has about 16 shows in which he is currently involved.  (That’s an exaggeration, but just a slight exaggeration.)

Celebrity Rehab chronicles the struggles of celebrities who are battling addictions.  According to the show’s website, it is “the first reality TV show to depict the process of overcoming addiction.”  (If you don’t count some early episodes of the Flintstones.)

I was interviewed for the show by Bob Forrest.  Bob and the Celebrity Rehab crew were at the church recording about 25 to 30 minutes of conversation with me.  Bob is Dr. Drew’s right hand man and he is described on the show’s website as the Head Counselor and Program Manager at the Pasadena Recovery Center

You might be saying, “Okay Dan, so come clean.  What type of addiction are you struggling with anyhow?”

My main addiction right now is ice tea with lots of Splenda.  But hold on a minute, my interview for the show was not about me.  The interview was done in relation to a man who attends our church named Joey Kovar who appeared on Season 3 of Celebrity Rehab.  Joey’s initial fame comes from appearing on the MTV show called The Real World.  Celebrity Rehab is doing a series of episodes entitled:  “Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Revisited” in which they reunite with former patients to see how they are doing.  It’s basically Celebrity Rehab’s version of “where are they now?”

Joey Kovar has had an authentic conversion experience in which he has accepted Christ and this has played a significant role in his life and in his experience of attempting to remain clean and sober.  So, the folks from Celebrity Rehab asked to speak with me as Joey’s pastor (with his permission, of course).

The VH1 website states that “Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Season 3 Revisited” is currently scheduled to air on Sunday, December 4th, (at 8pm Central).

Obviously, I don’t know if any portion of my interview will make it to air.  I have no control over the show and I won’t know until it airs that evening.  But, it was fun and pretty exciting for a non-celebrity like me to be involved in the taping.  Will any of it air?  We’ll see…

Well, I think that covers just about everything I know about the matter and even a few things I didn’t know about it until about 15 minutes ago.

No comments: