Thursday, November 24, 2011

E-Flash From Dan -- Thanksgiving Adventures

Dear E-Flash Friends;

Hope you’ve been having a great Thanksgiving Day!  Mine has been terrific.  Nadia whipped up a delicious feast that any early American Pilgrim would have envied.

And then, following our dinner, I sat back in a comfortable chair and did what most of you probably did.  I read for a while from a book on theology.  Yep, I know, that’s the typical thing most people do after a scrumptious Thanksgiving meal.  Here’s a brief sample passage from the book I’m reading:

“Yet eschatology itself is a crucial category for theology and ethics, to take only the question of how ‘realized’ is the kingdom of God in our era and how we therefore should act in light of that eschatological understanding.”

Yeah, I know. It’s dynamic and exhilarating, isn’t it?

Well, as you can imagine, after reading a number of thrilling passages like that for half an hour or more, you could feel the excitement all through our house reach a fever pitch.  I quickly took advantage of the momentum from all that reading frenzy to make a stealthy move into the kitchen and dive back into the turkey and other leftovers for the next round of eating.

I’m telling you all of that to let you know that I’m now laying on the couch with a mild sugar coma and a small turkey bone hanging out of the corner of my mouth. 

And, furthermore, it seemed like a good time to remind you all that this Sunday, Nov. 27th, the elders will be having a prayer time in between the two morning services.  (I bet you’ve never read an introduction for a “prayer time” announcement like that before, huh?)  If you have a prayer need or if you would simply like to join with us during our time of prayer, we will be meeting in the sanctuary at approximately 10:15am, and you are welcome to come.

Also, we will be looking at Ecclesiastes chapter 7, vs. 13, this Sunday.  It is an interesting passage that talks about accepting the way God does things.  I believe you will be blessed if you are here.  In fact, it would be a great Sunday to invite a friend.  I am praying that God will be moving powerfully.  I ask that you pray for the service, too.

Thanks, and in all serious, I hope that you have had a wonderful and blessed day and that there is genuine gratitude in your heart for God’s goodness in your life.

Love and blessings,

Dan


No comments: