Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Paying Attention


While I was standing in his room at the rehab center today, talking with 90-year-old Gil, a thought occurred to me: “This man has lived a long, long life, there are probably some terrific pieces of wisdom you could learn from him. Pay attention.”

Less than a minute later Gil said to me, “Dan, life is just a vapor [remember he’s 90] that’s why we’re going to do it God’s way. He knows best.”

A few moments later Gil also told me, “It’s a miracle, Dan. About a month ago I broke my hip but I never felt any pain. In fact, I feel good. And I’m able to get up and get around. I’m thankful. I’m so blessed. No pain! Can you believe how good that is?”

I said, “That’s remarkable, Gil.”

“No,” he corrected me, as if I wasn’t getting the main point, “It’s a miracle!”

Before I left, I was preparing to pray with Gil and he said, “Now Dan, I won’t be around much longer [he has spoken to me about his funeral on a few other occasions] and here are a couple of the songs I want you all to sing.”

“Alright, Gil. But I’m hoping you’re going to be around a lot longer.”

He went on, laughing, “Tell people not to be sad. Because I won’t be there. I will be celebrating!”

“I know you will, Gil.”

He’s 90 years old. He lives in a nursing home. He’s recuperating from a broken hip. But, as always, he is one of the most upbeat and positive people you could encounter. His conversation continually references God; the Bible; and the application of Christian truths and values to life. He is unfailingly kind and encouraging to me even though, theoretically, I’m supposed to be encouraging him.

God bless you, Gil. I’m paying attention.

No comments: