Monday, September 10, 2012

Laughter Is Important


For years, I’ve been saying that laughter and those who can make us laugh are of great value. (I don’t think anyone’s been listening, but I’ve been saying it, anyhow!) I’m not just suggesting that laughter is enjoyable (that part is obvious) but I’m also insisting that there is something very important about laughter for human beings.  So, today, I was pleased to read the following comment from a respected historian:  

“…[T]he comics are the most valuable. The world is a vale of tears, always has been and surely always will be. Those who can dry our tears, and force reluctant smiles to trembling lips, are more precious to us, if the truth be told, than all the statesmen and the generals and brainy people, even the great artists. For they ease the agony of life a little, and make us even imagine the possibility of being happy.” – Historian, Paul Johnson


No comments: