Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Pastor's Report 2010

Pastor’s Report

I’ve been reminded again this year of something that brings me great joy and happiness.  I’ve been reminded that this is a very loving church.

I know someone might say, “A pastor’s report ought to express something more substantive than that.”  But, I don’t know.  It seems like that’s a pretty significant thing to say about a church.

“By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you
love one another." John 13:35, Jesus.

I am reminded of this terrific truth because people who are not regular attenders of the church mention this loving quality to me.  I’ve received several comments like this:  “Dan, it really felt to me like a very loving group of people when I was at your church.”

I am reminded of this truth when I meet with other pastor friends and they tell me stories.  Please understand, I’m not suggesting that their stories reveal that our church is better than other churches or that our church is loving and their churches are not loving.  It’s just that the stories I hear will often, somehow, remind me of the authentic love that is freely expressed here at our church.

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.  Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.  1 John 4:7&8

I was reminded of this truth when my dad passed away earlier this year and your many acts of love toward my family and I gave me great encouragement and support.

“If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.”  1 Corinthians 13:1&2

I am reminded of this truth when I see people around our church treat each other with love and graciousness and compassion—particularly when the usual response in a situation might typically be something less than loving.

This report probably sounds like a lot of bragging and I want to be quick to admit that I realize our church is not perfect.  And we don’t always get things right.  And sometimes relational disputes happen that make me sad.  But, the love of God is genuine here and people can tell.  And that is not only a wonderful blessing but, based on the teachings of the Bible, it’s fair to say that it is a substantive thing to report about our church.

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”  Matthew 22:37-40

I am honored and blessed to be your pastor.  As I look forward to 2011, I look forward to these things:

Obedience to God
            Faith
            Discipleship
            Prayer
            The reading and study of God’s Word
            Listening to God
            Reaching out in love to others
            Hope
            Adventure
            Sharing my faith with others
            Grace, given and received
            Friendship
            Encouraging others and being encouraged by others
            The proclamation of Truth
            Worship
            Helping those who are hurting
            Trusting God
            Giving of my time, talents, and treasure to 
                God and His work 
            Fellowship
            Growth
            Loving God and loving others
            Being strengthened in the difficulties
            Serving others in Jesus’ name
            Giving honor to God
            Commitment to the Lord

These are some of the key things that are involved in living our lives for Him.  Sounds good, doesn’t it?  I hope we will faithfully and lovingly do these things, together!  I’d rather do these things with you guys than anyone else.

Love and blessings,

 Dan





Helping hurting people find and walk with God. – First Church of God



P.S.  I could have written a paragraph about each of the factors mentioned above.   …But aren’t you glad I didn’t?   (It’s called: “Being merciful.”)


No comments: