Monday, November 15, 2010

I Want Me Some Deeeee-Licious Squirrel!

Jasper was sitting in front of the picture window in our living room looking outside and his head was going back and forth.  It looked like he was watching a tennis match.  I peered beyond Jasper to the outside area that he was viewing and I could see a couple of squirrels running back and forth.

Jasper was completely quiet which was unusual.  Normally, he growls or barks or plays violin when he sees squirrels outside.  But this time he just sat silently while his gaze went back and forth and he watched the critters.

Then, as if he could sense that I was staring at him, Jasper turned his head my way and looked at me and that’s when I saw it.  He was literally drooling.  I burst out laughing!  He looked like he hadn’t been fed in weeks.  A long string of drool was stretching down about 6 or 7 inches from his mouth and there was slobber around his lips.  I was cracking up!  He looked so funny!!!  (I tried to get a photo of the drool, but I missed it, I didn’t get there in time.  A lesson to future photographers:  There’s an important timing factor involved in capturing “drool”.)

Occasionally, I’ve wondered, “What would Jasper actually do, if he caught one of those squirrels?”

I have a feeling that I know, now, what he would do.

By the way, it’s hard to blame him.  At one point, I’m pretty sure I saw the squirrels come up to the window and look in at Jasper and do that move where you hold your hands up by your head, with your thumbs in your ears, wiggle your fingers, stick out your tongue and say, “Nah, nah…nah, nah…naaaah, nah!”

About an hour later, I saw Jasper in the exact same spot watching the squirrels again, but I noticed that, this time, he had a bottle of barbeque sauce sitting next to him.

…Oh yeah, I have a feeling that I know, now, what he would do if he caught one.
  


P.S.  A little more time went by and I walked past the area again to see that Jasper had moved to a nearby chair so that he could lay in a more relaxed position but still watch the action outside. 

…Yep, life is pretty good for Jasper.




No comments: