Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Welcoming "Jasper"

When a family member goes off to college you can cry and feel sad and mope around the house for weeks on end or you can go out and get a new family member. So, we did both.

But speaking of the new family member, we welcomed “Jasper” to our family today and he’s only about a year old but he already ran out into the backyard and ate a squirrel. Which, if you think about it, is a fairly decent accomplishment for a 1 year old.

I know this sounds like a completely biased new dog owner, but Jasper is a beautiful doggie, part Labrador and part something else (maybe Llama?) with jet black fur and a great temperament. He’s housebroken and he comes when he’s called, which took years for our kids to master.

When he got to our house he spent about 25 minutes going all around the place sniffing and smelling and figuring out where everything is. Come to think of it, that’s what a lot of guests do when they come to our house. Then, satisfied that it was okay, he came and sat down by my feet while I worked on the computer.

After a minute or two, he looked up at me and said, “I think this is going to work out alright. By the way, I’m not used to a steady diet of squirrel, will you be feeding me some regular dog food most of the time?”

I said, “Yes, that’s what we’ve been eating a lot anyhow, what with the economy and all.”

He said, “Great.” Then he quoted a passage of scripture and fell asleep.

I think this is going to work out alright.



*NOTE: Okay, I’m joking, he didn’t really eat a squirrel but he’s fast enough that he could.

No comments: