Wednesday, September 9, 2009

E-Flash From Dan, 9/9/09, Fall Kick-Off

Dear Friends;

The writer of the book of Ecclesiastes sounds downright pessimistic when he says, “Everything is meaningless—like chasing the wind.” Having spent some years working in the corporate world, I know that I would have been very reluctant to start a new sales promotion with that quote.

“Remember folks, everything that we’re doing here is meaningless. Now, get out there and work hard at selling this product!”

It lacks that motivational edge, doesn’t it? However, the writer of Ecclesiastes has put into words some thoughts that have effectively challenged mankind’s thinking for thousands of years. What is the meaning of it all? What’s the point of our lives?

Those are some of the questions that we will be dealing with as we start our new ministry season this weekend.

This Sunday, September 13th, is our Fall Kick-Off. Our 3-week kick-off series is titled: Our Search For Meaning. I really believe that this will be a thought-provoking, stretching, interesting, challenging teaching for us all. My prayer is that it will be a time of growth for all of us. And I am hoping that you are planning to be with us. AND I’m hoping that you are planning to invite someone. Have you been thinking and praying about the question of WHO you could invite?

Let’s take the risk to invite and then see what God does.

By the way, the writer of Ecclesiastes ends the book on a little more instructive note. He says, “Here now is my final conclusion: Fear God and obey his commands, for this is everyone’s duty.”

To really understand true meaning, we have to begin with God because He is the cause and sustainer of all things and because He is foundational to all things. But, hold on, I’m getting ahead of myself. I’ll tell you more about this on Sunday.

Hope you’re all having a great week! God bless.

Dan


P.S. Here’s a thought for today: “There is . . . a path leading from the state of our own abilities to that of the greats. The path is extremely long and demanding, and only a few will follow it all the way to its end.”—Geoff Colvin. There is something about this quote that stirs strong feelings in me. I hope it does for you, as well. Are we willing to take the LONG, DEMANDING path? I believe it will be the worthwhile path.

No comments: