Friday, June 12, 2009

Has God Messed With You Lately?

I asked a friend recently, “What have you been reading these days?”

She said, “I read this book ‘Crazy Love’ by Francis Chan. And God has really been messing with me, as a result of it.”

So, I picked up a copy of “Crazy Love”. It’s a quick read. And God’s been messing with me, now, too.

Oh yes, I’ve thanked my friend for contributing to my nights spent laying awake staring at the ceiling, pondering these matters. But she just laughs at me and says, “join the club, bub.”

I think Chan has a gift for challenging one to seriously grapple with questions like:

· Am I really committed to God and not just playing a game?
· Is there evidence of a true commitment to God in my life?
· Am I really trusting in God or does my life reveal that I have back up plans and insurance policies in case God doesn’t actually come through?
· If my faith in God could possibly seem “strange” to those who don’t walk with God, isn’t that how it’s supposed to be?


The questions listed above may or may not be found in the book, I don’t recall for sure. I’m just saying they are the types of questions that I found myself pondering as I read the book.

One of the questions that definitely is in the book is this one that was posed to a class in which Francis participated back in Bible college: “What are you doing right now that requires faith?” It’s an interesting question for an authentic Christ follower to ponder. Is there anything you are doing in your life, right now, that truly requires faith?

“Crazy Love” is likely to get you thinking and provide a good and important challenge to your faith in God. In fact, He might just “mess” with you as a result of reading this book.

Dan Marler
Oak Lawn, IL

No comments: