Thursday, August 19, 2021

Hey Dan, what about suicide?

Over the years I have been asked about suicide a number of times. In particular people are curious about this question: If a person commits suicide does it mean the person is automatically disqualified from heaven and bound for eternity in hell?

To the best of my knowledge the Bible does not offer a direct answer to that question. And I suspect if you posed the question to several Christian theologians it is possible you would get different answers.

It is very fair to say that suicide is not good. It is tremendously painful to the people who loved the person who has committed suicide. It is possible the loved ones may experience extreme guilt and question themselves for years wondering: what could I have done differently? Could I have prevented this from happening if I was more observant, caring, attentive or loving?

Also, the position of the Bible is that we should not take a person’s life. [Exodus 20:13] I believe that command applies not just to others but to our self, as well.

So suicide is not good but that still leaves us with the question: what happens to the person who commits suicide, when it comes to heaven and hell?

Again, I will admit the Bible does not offer a direct answer to the question, however, I am inclined to think: The person who commits suicide does not automatically go to hell.

Here are several thoughts which lead me to this position:

First, any person who commits suicide is clearly experiencing thoughts, pressure, stress, anguish, mental pain, emotional pain, etc., that we probably do not understand. I’m not trying to make excuses I’m just pointing out that the person is in a state in which something extreme is occurring. So what does that mean in terms of their responsibility for their actions? I do not know for sure. We do not know for sure. It involves thoughts, feelings, circumstances which we cannot know with any certainty.

Who does know with certainty? God. Who can bring fair, merciful, honest, gracious, totally informed judgment to the matter? God.

“The LORD loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of his unfailing love.” Psalm 33:5

Second, the person who commits suicide, on some level, is not thinking properly. So what does that mean in terms of their responsibility for their actions? Once again, as I described in the first point, above, we do not know with any type of certainty. It is impossible for us to know all the details which come to play. This is God’s domain.

I believe He will be able to bring a fair, merciful, honest, gracious, and totally informed judgment to the matter. We can trust Him to be completely just.

Third. What happened, perhaps, even just seconds before the person who committed suicide actually expired? Answer: we do not know. In the Bible there is a man who acknowledges Christ and trusts in Jesus just before he dies. In fact, this man is being crucified on a cross right next to Jesus. You might say this was a last minute conversion. Jesus promises the man that he will be with Him [Jesus] in paradise. [Luke 23:43]

The person who commits suicide, in the final seconds before life ends, might have some type of encounter with Jesus. By the way, I’m not even suggesting this is likely, I’m simply suggesting: 1) it is possible; and 2) we do not know for sure what has happened in the person’s heart and mind in the final moments of life. But the experience of the “thief on the cross” with Jesus gives me hope that a person who commits suicide could have some type of brief but significant connection with Jesus which effects the person’s eternity.

Fourth, the condition of the person’s heart may be different than the hurt, broken, unstable condition of the person’s mind when suicide is involved.

“…The LORD doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7

And I believe it is possible the person’s heart may still be in relationship to God even though the mind may be damaged. We cannot possibly know the details about a specific person’s heart, but God can. And this gives me hope that even though the person has taken his/her life, the person may still be with God in heaven.

I am aware of the fact that we could ask this question: Is a person who has genuinely experienced salvation in Jesus Christ, capable of an action as drastic as taking their own life?

Answer: I don’t know. But I think it is very likely the answer is yes. Extremely drastic circumstances or experiences can result in extremely drastic actions even for an authentic believer.

Please know, I am not claiming to have theological certainty regarding this question and this is not a matter of being intentionally vague. I believe there are questions for which it is truthful to say: We do not actually know. (Or put it this way, I’ll speak for myself. It is accurate for me to say: I do not actually know.)

And I am aware of the fact that some would disagree with my position. Such a reality is inherent in deep, profound theological questions.

I hope it is true and I, personally, believe it is true—based on my understanding of the Bible—that a person who has committed suicide can still be in heaven with God.

 

No comments: