Thursday, October 24, 2013

Free Pie Night And The Exercise of Discipline

A group of friends went out for Free Pie Night at Bakers Square after the Bible study at church this evening.  They know I’m not supposed to be eating pie late at night and yet they tempted me, anyhow.

“Mmm, this pie is delicious!!!” they said as they scooped large forkfuls into their mouths.

One person commented, “I have extra ice cream.”

“You know, Dan,” he continued, “It’s hard to describe how delicious it is because words are inadequate to depict all this yummy goodness!”

Yes, I admit that I was tempted.  After all, I’m human.  But I simply continued to sip my water and secretly do abdominal exercises in my chair.

“Discipline is its own reward,” I reminded myself as I smiled with life-affirming, inner satisfaction.



P.S.  It is late and there is a very slight chance I’m not remembering this exactly the way it happened.  But the account described above is pretty close.  Well, let me just assure you that this part is for sure:  I only had water.

P.P.S.  Did I mention that I really dislike water?

No comments: