Saturday, August 29, 2009

No Tears . . . Almost

We said goodbye to Taylor and left AU this afternoon. Nadia kept stretching the goodbye out from one destination to the next. But finally we ended up standing by the van and said a final farewell. As I pulled away, I noticed Taylor walking all by himself back to his dorm room. But you know what? No tears.

Then we began the 4 hour drive home. Nadia and I talked about the orientation experience and how we were feeling. We spoke philosophically about the changes that were happening and the nature of life. But you know what? A four hour drive home and no tears.

When we arrived at the house, I walked down into the "lair". Our basement, that Taylor had taken over and made into his own "pad". The lair where all the guys hung out. The place where often two or three nights a week, sometimes even during school nights there were guys spending the night. The place from which I could hear conversations coming when I would wake up to go to the bathroom at 3 o'clock in the morning.

I stood looking at the empty lair and bawled like a baby. Tears.

Nadia walked up to me and said, "What's going on?" When she saw me crying we hugged each other and cried. Tears.

Tears are therapeutic. Tears are good. I feel better now.

No comments: