Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Simple Truth

I recited a poem I have written at the service last Sunday, May 3rd. After the service, a couple of people asked me for a copy of the poem. Well, as you can imagine, I got all excited and began to envision having a book of poetry published. Unfortunately, this is the first and only poem I've ever written. So, I'm printing the poem here with great excitement.


The Simple Truth

The truth.
It seems so simple, doesn’t it? Just tell the truth.
But, of course, you can slice and dice with the truth.
Or, you can be very nice with the truth.

You can hurt with the truth.
You can flirt with the truth.

You can laugh with the truth.
You can cry with the truth.
But you can’t really ever lie with the truth.

“Does this dress make me look fat?”
You might avoid the truth.
“I’m considering getting this large skull and crossbones tattooed on my face, what do you think?”
Proclaim the truth!

“No such thing as truth” . . . some people say.
“Truth doesn’t matter” . . . they tell us.
But we all know better.

If the person sitting next to you knows the truth . . . don’t look at him.

The truth . . . it seems so simple.


Dan Marler
May 2009


P.S. This poem was read in a message titled: "It's Simple, Just Speak The Truth In Love". To hear the entire message go to www.VisitUsOnline.org and click on "media", then on "messages".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When saying that we should not look at the one beside us who knows the truth, are you saying that we should be spreading the truth to those who do not know it? rp

Dan Marler said...

Actually, that comment about not looking at the person next to you was my minor attempt at humor. When I read this piece in the church service the delivery and the smile on my face, sort of, tipped people that it was supposed to be amusing. Now, that I look at it again, I realize that it doesn't come across very well in writing.