Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Nothing We Desire Can Compare With Wisdom, Proverbs 8

Review of: "Loving Wisdom" by Paul Copan.

Loving Wisdom provides solid and interesting theology, apologetics and philosophy.

The whole book is good, but I found three of the four chapters in Part III to be particularly interesting: The Problem(s) of Evil; The Hiddenness of God; and Hell.

In chapter 12, The Problem(s) of Evil, Copan has a section dealing with “Principalities and Powers”. I don’t recall seeing much reference to the effects of “principalities and powers” in other apologetic treatments of the problem of evil. It was a helpful perspective.

Chapter 13, dealt with “The Hiddenness of God” providing some probing thoughts on the matter. For example, to those who complain that God does reveal himself clearly enough, Copan suggests that perhaps, “the more evidence one has of God, the more resentful one might become toward him.” Copan quotes atheist Thomas Nagel who confesses that “he doesn’t want there to be a God.” I’ve read similar expressions from other atheists. For a person who feels this way, to have more revealing evidence from God of His existence probably would not be helpful or desired.

Chapter 15, “Hell”, was also interesting. One of the more fascinating ideas that Copan suggests is that in hell resistance to God is likely to increase rather than decrease. Says Copan, “despite hell’s miseries, the condemned wouldn’t prefer God’s presence; resistance continues in hell. The more they would be exposed to God, the more they would come to hate him.” In other words, it’s not likely that those in hell will be saying, “Hey, I’ve changed my mind, God, I love you! I’m ready for heaven now! Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound . . . !” He refers to the rich man suffering in Hades (Luke 16) pointing out that he “doesn’t necessarily prefer a God-centered existence; he just wants relief.”

I’ve also noticed that having read “Loving Wisdom” I feel much wiser. It’s almost as if I’ve had a Solomonic wisdom injection. You can probably tell just from reading this book review, huh? It’s clear that those who know me can sense a difference, they’ve started calling me, “Mr.-Know-It-All”.

That’s a good sign, right?

Dan Marler
Oak Lawn, IL

No comments: